Resonate's observed Geography Data enables you to use DMA®* level data as both attributes and insights. Region and State attributes found in our Resonate Elements can only be used to build audiences.
Two Types of Geography Data
Our Brand, Agency and Media & Entertainment clients will see two types of Geography data in their Resonate accounts:
- Region and State from our research data found in Resonate Elements
- DMA from our new deterministic observed geography data found in Additional Data
1. Region and State will continue to come from our research data, which is based on a survey question asking people where they live. Region and State will live in the Resonate Elements taxonomy under Demographics - Demographics - Geography.
2. DMA will come from the new Geography data type, which is based on location data. DMA lives in Geography. When viewing insights, you'll be able to see DMA data as insights.
Why the Two Types?
There are a few reasons we're providing more than one type of Geography data to you:
- Region and state from the Resonate Elements taxonomy will give you a projected count of how many people are in that region or state when added to your audience definition in the audience builder. Since DMA data is observed, vs the self-reported survey data which is weighted, we cannot provide a projected count of how many people are in a DMA. When viewing a DMA attribute in your audience definition, you will see the addressable number, which is the estimated number of modeled devices for that attribute.
- Another reason for the two data types is that with our research data, we are not able to provide granular geographic insights. When we observe geographic location, we're able to provide insights on more granular geographic data through observed behavior.
When to use Which Data Type
Use the region and state attributes from the Resonate Elements taxonomy when:
- You want to build an audience based on where people live.
- You want to see a projected size of how many people live in a region or state.
- Find region and state in the Resonate Elements taxonomy in Demographics - Demographics - Geography.
Use the DMA attributes found under Geography when:
- You want to build an audience of people located in a specific DMA and view insights about them.
- You will only be able to see DMA level insights against your audiences to understand where they're located. We do not provide insights at the state or region level. This can help determine where you should focus your spending or targeting budget.
Pro Tip: If you want to target your audience by location, we recommend you use the geo-targeting capabilities in your advertising platform for the most timely geo-targeting.
Limitations to Two Types of Geography Data
When working with these two data types, keep in mind that they come from different sources, so they may not always "add up" against each other. For example, if you look at several DMAs in a certain state against the that state's attribute, the numbers may look a bit off. Keep in mind that DMAs can span two or more states, but primarily keep in mind that these two data types come from different sources.
Understanding the New Geography Data
The new Geography data, based on location data that is updated nightly, enables you to:
- Understand where your audiences are at the DMA level
- Build or segment audiences by DMA
- Tailor your messaging, creative, and more by specific geographies
- More Granular Geography Data
- The Geography data from our anonymous behavioral data stream is more granular, a more recent observed location and more useful for marketers than our modeled survey data
- Updated nightly based on the most recent observed location
- Build Better Audiences
- Build audiences down to the DMA level
- Combine Geography data with Resonate Elements, tag, and behavioral data.
- See more granular Geography Insights
- View insights down to the DMA level
*The DMA® information is used pursuant to a license from The Nielsen Company. Any use and/or reproduction of these materials without the express written consent of The Nielsen Company, is strictly prohibited. The DMA® information is valid for the period 2020 - 2021.