With the introduction of our Coronavirus Flash Study Wave 3 research, we're also introducing 4 Coronavirus Consumer Segments! Use these segments to better understand consumer's attitudes and preferences with regards to reopening America during the Coronavirus pandemic.
What are the Coronavirus Consumer Segments?
Within Wave 3, we asked respondents whether they would feel immediately safe doing various in-person activities once state restrictions are removed, such as attending church, attending sporting events, visiting theme parks, taking a flight, staying at a hotel, traveling in and out of state, renting a room, etc. As respondents answered these questions, we segmented them into 4 Coronavirus Consumer Segments based on their willingness to engage with in-person activities.
There are 4 Segments:
- Reopen Rushers - these are people who identified as feeling immediately safe doing MOST in-person activities.
- Reopen Ready - these are people who identified as feeling immediately safe doing SEVERAL in-person activities.
- Reopen Reluctant - these are people who identified as feeling immediately safe doing A FEW in-person activities.
- Reopen Resistant - these are people who identified as feeling immediately safe doing LITTLE TO NO in-person activities.
What's the benefit of these segments?
Use these segments to better understand how many consumers are ready to reopen America vs not, analyze them, and activate.
Here are the primary use cases for these segments:
- View Market Size
- Understand the audience size of each segment of the American consumer as States re-open and consumers continue to navigate through the pandemic.
- Build Audiences & Analyze
- What do people who are Reopen Rushers look like? Are they older or younger? Where do they shop and what are their values? These are the people who are going to be willing to go shop in physical stores - understand which ones!
- Use them to segment your existing audiences
- For example, isolate the Reopen Rushers within your existing Jenna the Mom segment. Understand how many of your Jenna the Moms are rushing to reopen. What are their values? What activities are they willing to do? Use this information to adjust your messaging and targeting for your current segments.
- You can do the same sort of analysis with your Tags, for example your home page. Add your Tagged home page and the Reopen Rushers to an audience, then analyze.
- Activate these segments - either on their own or as a segment of one of your existing audiences.
- View as Insights
- View these segments as insights. For example, include your home page tag in your analysis, and view these segments as insights to see the composition of people coming to your home page and how they feel about reopening America.
- Measure with Audience Crosstab
- Create audiences of each segment to measure how each segment is moving through your website journey or marketing funnel with Audience Crosstab.
- Data Append
- Append these segments down to your marketing ecosystem so that you can better personalize your website or email marketing experiences to each segment.
Where do I find them?
In Segmentation center - go to Resonate Elements - Coronavirus - Coronavirus Consumer Segments - Readiness to Open.
How did we come up with these segments?
We leveraged a series of questions that uncover the respondents' inclination to reengage in a series of activities. This was achieved through 12 questions on “When all the restrictions in your state were/are removed, did you/will you immediately feel safe...”
- Attending Church
- Going to crowded activities with hundreds of people (e.g., movie theaters)
- Going to crowded activities with thousands of people (e.g., attending concerts, sporting events, malls)
- Visiting theme parks (e.g. Universal Studios, Disney World, Six Flags)
- Taking flight/train
- Riding mass transit
- Staying at a large hotel chain
- Renting a room or home (e.g., Airbnb)
- Traveling with a ride-share service (e.g., Uber, Lyft)
- Traveling within your state
- Traveling to a different state
- Traveling internationally
The number of Yes/Intend to Re-Engage responses across these questions for the respondent set was segmented through a quartile-based distribution to define the 4 "Coronavirus Consumer Segments" available in the Ignite Platform.