Measuring and validating the success of your marketing campaign doesn't stop at acknowledging the number of converted consumers. Even if your metrics are looking favorable, you still want to understand who didn't convert, and why. Resonate can help you identify and analyze segments of non-converters. As an example, follow our recipe in which we deconstruct an audience in order to identify and understand shopping cart abandoners.
Watch our short video to see how we do this in Resonate.
First, you will determine the percentage of shopping cart abandoners for one of your important personas, then you will create and analyze an audience of them.
Determining the Percentage of Shopping Cart Abandoners
- Add your tagged digital properties, including your landing page and conversion page to your Analysis. In this use case, you'll look at the relationship between Home Page and Purchase Page.
- When viewing an analysis, switch over to the Measurement tab and select Audience Crosstab from the drop-down menu.
- You will now be prompted to add your audiences. Search for your audiences, then click the checkboxes next to their tiles to add them to the audience crosstab. Keep in mind that when you want to measure against a Tag, you need to select compatible audiences that do not contain Limited attributes. When you're ready, click on the Add Selected button.
- You can determine the percentage of shopping cart abandoners by subtracting the composition number of those who landed on your home page from the composition number of those who visited your purchase page. The difference is the percentage of people who didn't convert. In this case, 15%.
Now let's see, why these people didn't proceed to purchase.
Creating an Audience of Shopping Cart Abandoners
- Navigate to the Audience Builder - Segmentation
- Under the My Tags tab of the Taxonomy, find your Home Page tag. Add this tag to the Audience Definition.
- Now find your Purchase Page tag and add it to the Audience Definition.
- Currently, you would interpret this Audience Definition as "people who visited the home page AND the purchase page".
- Since that's not what you're looking for, you will have to change the audience logic. Click on the Include next to Completed Purchase tag, and select Exclude so that your definition would read as "people who visited the home page but did not visit the purchase page."
- Click Add to Analysis
- Explore Resonate's curated reports to understand who these consumers are and explore why they did not convert. For instance, in the Personal Values Report, you could see that this audience values Pleasure over Safety and Tradition. This campaign's messaging didn’t focus that much on Pleasure, so a new creative about Pleasure could be more successful in converting them.