From the Resonate Dashboard, click the + icon in the top navigation, then choose Create a Tag.
You must enter a Tag name, and select the Tracker Type and Tag Type. Tag description is optional.
There are six Tracker Type options to choose from – Click, Conversion, Custom, Impression, Media and Site.
In most cases, to get the most value out of your tagging strategy with Resonate, we recommend that you choose our dynamic Site Tags and Media Tags. Dynamic tags allow you to define what information you’d like to send back to Resonate to create your own custom taxonomy within the Ignite Platform, so that you can build, analyze & activate engagement-based audiences.
For example, once you’ve created a Site Tag, you can edit the parameters to segment users by page events, such as add to cart or a form submission. Even if you do not plan to edit the customizable tag parameters, in most cases we still recommend you choose our Dynamic Site or Media Tags.
Let’s first review Site and Media Tags so that you can understand how they can be used.
We have four Tag Type options to choose from when creating a Media Tag – Impression URL, Impression Image, Click Unencoded Redirect, and Click Encoded Redirect.
Impressions Tags capture data about users who are exposed to your media. They can help you evaluate your targeting strategy to determine if you’re effectively reaching the right people through all of your platforms.
- Impression – URL (Recommended): The URL of the pixel which can be used as a third-party tracking pixel in ad servers.
- Impression – Image: HTML tag which can be inserted into the raw HTML of the ad. Typically we find that just the URL is needed, so we usually don’t recommend this option.
Click Tags give you the ability to learn more about the people who are actually engaging with your media. They can help you understand why they are engaging with your content so that you can find new audiences that share similar characteristics.
Dynamic Click tracking tags are similar to the impression tracking tag but add support for a redirect parameter which must come at the end of the tag code. You can create dynamic Click tracking tags for the click event in media campaigns and redirect the user to an advertiser landing page.
- Click – Unencoded Redirect (Recommended): Plain URL format, not encoded.
- Click – Encoded Redirect: Encodes the structure of the URL. Should only be used if you plan to use another third-party redirect on your click tracking.
After you’ve created a Media Tag, our dynamic parameters then allow you to pass additional data on Impressions and Clicks, like what creative, partner or campaign they were exposed to or engaged with. The dynamic parameters for use on Resonate Media Tags are:
- Partner: Used for tracking Partner where Media Tag is served. Recommend Platform Name or Partner ID. Example: "Google" or "123-abc-456-efg”
- Campaign: Used for tracking digital advertising Campaign. Recommend Campaign Name or Campaign ID. Example: “Summer Promotion” or “123-abc-456-efg”
- Creative: Used for tracking Creative ID which is served or clicked on. Recommend Creative Name or Creative ID. Example: “Portrait” or “123-abc-456-efg”
Please note that the parameter fields are pre-named, but you have the ability to customize them if you would like to segment your users differently.
Custom, Click, Conversion and Impression Tags
The remaining four available Tracker Types (Custom, Click, Conversion and Impression Tags) are used less often. These are legacy tags and are typically not needed by our clients with the newer dynamic Site and Media tags as options.
- Click Tags are only used to track and build analytics on ad clicks. They are inserted in an ad click stream and redirect through Resonate's CDN (Content Delivery Network) servers before redirecting to the final ad landing page. The available Tag Types for a Click Tag are 'Click - Encoded Redirect' and 'Click - Unencoded Redirect'.
- Conversion Tags should be created to track and build analytics on site based events that are the KPI of the client’s ad campaign (e.g. get a quote, buy a product, sign a petition, etc.). Select 'Image' as the Tag Type.
- Impression Tags should be created only when the pixeled event is an ad impression. The platform can produce the URL of the pixel which can be used as a 3rd party tracking pixel in ad servers, or as an HTML Tag which can be inserted into the raw HTML of the ad.
Once you’ve determined which tag you want to create and have selected the Tracker Type and Tag Types if applicable, click on the "Associated Campaign" link to assign the Tag to a campaign. This will present a list of campaigns associated with your account. You must select a campaign.
If you don’t see a campaign or would like to create a new campaign, please contact your Resonate Customer Success Contact.
Once all required fields are completed, click Create Tag. A new Tag tile will appear the Your Saved Tags Page. Tags are automatically assigned to the project in which their associated campaign lives.
When created, Resonate Tags default to the industry standard SSL secure protocol. After the Tag is created, you have the option to make the Tag non-secure.