We have four Tag Type options to choose from when creating a Media Tag – Impression URL, Impression Image, Click Unencoded Redirect, and Click Encoded Redirect.
Impressions Tags capture data about users who are exposed to your media. They can help you evaluate your targeting strategy to determine if you’re effectively reaching the right people through all of your platforms.
- Impression – URL (Recommended): The URL of the pixel which can be used as a third-party tracking pixel in ad servers.
- Impression – Image: HTML tag which can be inserted into the raw HTML of the ad. Typically we find that just the URL is needed, so we usually don’t recommend this option.
Click Tags give you the ability to learn more about the people who are actually engaging with your media. They can help you understand why they are engaging with your content so that you can find new audiences that share similar characteristics.
Dynamic Click tracking tags are similar to the impression tracking tag but add support for a redirect parameter which must come at the end of the tag code. You can create dynamic Click tracking tags for the click event in media campaigns and redirect the user to an advertiser landing page.
- Click – Unencoded Redirect (Recommended): Plain URL format, not encoded.
- Click – Encoded Redirect: Encodes the structure of the URL. Should only be used if you plan to use another third-party redirect on your click tracking.
After you’ve created a Media Tag, our dynamic parameters then allow you to pass additional data on Impressions and Clicks, like what creative, partner or campaign they were exposed to or engaged with. The dynamic parameters for use on Resonate Media Tags are:
- Partner: Used for tracking Partner where Media Tag is served. Recommend Platform Name or Partner ID. Example: "Google" or "123-abc-456-efg”
- Campaign: Used for tracking digital advertising Campaign. Recommend Campaign Name or Campaign ID. Example: “Summer Promotion” or “123-abc-456-efg”
- Creative: Used for tracking Creative ID which is served or clicked on. Recommend Creative Name or Creative ID. Example: “Portrait” or “123-abc-456-efg”
Please note that the parameter fields are pre-named, but you have the ability to customize them if you would like to segment your users differently.
Custom, Click, Conversion and Impression Tags
The remaining four available Tracker Types (Custom, Click, Conversion and Impression Tags) are used less often. These are legacy tags and are typically not needed by our clients with the newer dynamic Site and Media tags as options.
- Click Tags are only used to track and build analytics on ad clicks. They are inserted in an ad click stream and redirect through Resonate's CDN (Content Delivery Network) servers before redirecting to the final ad landing page. The available Tag Types for a Click Tag are 'Click - Encoded Redirect' and 'Click - Unencoded Redirect'.
- Conversion Tags should be created to track and build analytics on site based events that are the KPI of the client’s ad campaign (e.g. get a quote, buy a product, sign a petition, etc.). Select 'Image' as the Tag Type.
- Impression Tags should be created only when the pixeled event is an ad impression. The platform can produce the URL of the pixel which can be used as a 3rd party tracking pixel in ad servers, or as an HTML Tag which can be inserted into the raw HTML of the ad.